I always thought it would be nice to have a reverse Biboumi to allow people to connect to XMPP MUCs easily from their IRC client. There is a long abandoned project called xmpp-ircd, but according to the author it would require a full rewrite to be really usable.

So maybe we could find someone willing to add XMPP component support to the really excellent Soju IRC bouncer? That would probably be the least effort to get really nice IRCv3 support.

Joe Bidet
link
fedilink
16M

i wonder who will be the first to answer “Matrix”?

poVoq
creator
link
fedilink
16M

Matrix has a few projects like that indeed, but that doesn’t help with XMPP ;)

Joe Bidet
link
fedilink
16M

well one may argue (the first to answer “Matrix” or anybody else ;))) ) that Matrix could be used as a pivot protocol? that a bridge doing Matrix-IRC and a bridge Matrix-XMPP being in the same Matrix room would lead to the desired result, offering on top of that also the possibility for Matrix users to joined the bridge IRC-Jabber rooms…?

poVoq
creator
link
fedilink
26M

Tried that. Waaaay to buggy and server resource intensive as pretty much everything in the Matrix ecosystem, sadly.

Sam
admin
link
fedilink
16M

You can do this, but it’s extremely unpleasant in my experience. Their bridges never seem to work very well in general.

Bridging and Gateways
!bridging

Using XMPP in combination with other legacy networks.

Related XMPP chat room

• 0 users online
    • 1 user / day
    • 1 user / week
    • 5 users / month
    • 8 users / 6 months
    • 22 subscribers
    • 12 Posts
    • 15 Comments
    • Modlog