• Don’t take to warm clothes. After 1-2 km You are war enought to feel comfortable. If You take to warm clothes, it’s gonna be hot and You’ll be wet, which is not comfortable and might chill You very fast during stop on lights.
  • Take some warm clothes with You in case, when You need to stop for longer period (talk to friend who You meet, unpredictable stop cousing by flat tire) to prevent rapid cooling.
  • keep in mind warm Your feet,.knees, hand and neck.
  • below -15 oC, it’s good to use some cream on face.

I do cycle a lot during winter. Winters here are quite calm so I just wear warmer clothes. Never cycled on snow neither, sorry for not being useful at all. :/

What’s winter like where you live? Biking on light snow is totally doable.

@regalia@slrpnk.net
creator
link
fedilink
edit-2
2M

deleted by creator

I would say just try it out. Not much can go wrong if the distance isn’t super long.

During winter I would always ride really carefully, wear very warm clothing that I can take off in parts, because I’ll get really warm fast. Take a scarf with you or something to cover your face with, if it snows that can be helpful.

@regalia@slrpnk.net
creator
link
fedilink
edit-2
2M

deleted by creator

Yep I commuted several winters in Chicago and biking in the snow was def doable. Here are some tips:

• don’t go out and buy stuff, start with wht you have and upgrade incrementally as you discover what works and doesn’t
  • here’s what I wore which kept me warm enough down to about 15F: synthetic undershirt, synthetic base layer long sleeve shirt, lightly insulated waterproof winter shell jacket, bike tights padded in the ass, waterproof shell pants, waterproof boots, light windproof gloves, a thin insulated hat that fit under a helmet, and sunglasses. I have a beard and it kept my face warm
  • when it got colder I wore heavier gloves, a neoprene-like balaclava, and a ski helmet, and occasionally ski goggles
  • as long as you keep your heart rate up, you’ll be warmer than you think. It’s important that you have a place that’s warm to change on the other end. If you stop moving you’ll get cold
  • biking in snow and ice is doable as long as you don’t accelerate much, turning, speeding up, and braking are when things get dicey
  • fenders are a must
  • I recommend riding the shittiest bike you have bc it’s going to get fucked up by Ice and salt. I rode a cheap single speed and would go through at least one chain per winter biking about 70 miles per week.
@regalia@slrpnk.net
creator
link
fedilink
edit-2
2M

deleted by creator

Definitely! Buying tighs also helped me a great deal, they’re very comfy and allowed me to reduce the amount of clothing I had to wear. You should maybe ask other cyclists around, as they’re experienced with the local climate and will be able to tell you exactly what kind of clothes you should be wearing to ride comfortably.

@regalia@slrpnk.net
creator
link
fedilink
edit-2
2M

deleted by creator

This community exists as a sister community/copycat community to the r/fuckcars subreddit.

This community exists for the following reasons:

• to raise awareness around the dangers, inefficiencies and injustice that can come from car dependence.
  • to allow a place to discuss and promote more healthy transport methods and ways of living.

You can find the Matrix chat room for this community here.

Rules

1. Be nice to each other. Being aggressive or inflammatory towards other users will get you banned. Name calling or obvious trolling falls under that. Hate cars, hate the system, but not people. While some drivers definitely deserve some hate, most of them didn’t choose car-centric life out of free will.

2. No bigotry or hate. Racism, transphobia, misogyny, ableism, homophobia, chauvinism, fat-shaming, body-shaming, stigmatization of people experiencing homeless or substance users, etc. are not tolerated. Don’t use slurs. You can laugh at someone’s fragile masculinity without associating it with their body. The correlation between car-culture and body weight is not an excuse for fat-shaming.

3. Stay on-topic. Submissions should be on-topic to the externalities of car culture in urban development and communities globally. Posting about alternatives to cars and car culture is fine. Don’t post literal car fucking.

4. No traffic violence. Do not post depictions of traffic violence. NSFW or NSFL posts are not allowed. Gawking at crashes is not allowed. Be respectful to people who are a victim of traffic violence or otherwise traumatized by it. News articles about crashes and statistics about traffic violence are allowed. Glorifying traffic violence will get you banned.

5. No reposts. Before sharing, check if your post isn’t a repost. Reposts that add something new are fine. Reposts that are sharing content from somewhere else are fine too.

6. No misinformation. Masks and vaccines save lives during a pandemic, climate change is real and anthropogenic - and denial of these and other established facts will get you banned. False or highly speculative titles will get your post deleted.

7. No harassment. Posts that (may) cause harassment, dogpiling or brigading, intentionally or not, will be removed. Please do not post screenshots containing uncensored usernames. Actual harassment, dogpiling or brigading is a bannable offence.

Please report posts and comments that violate our rules.

• 0 users online
  • 1 user / day
  • 10 users / week
  • 37 users / month
  • 173 users / 6 months
  • 1 subscriber
  • 311 Posts
  • 523 Comments
  • Modlog