serenity
link
fedilink
43M

Interesting but complex topic. I have the feeling that since years Mastodon and Pleroma and so on, have already provided safe spaces for all kind of minority groups. Setting up a private Lemmy instance for this is up to you of course. I would not use the word diseases. The word disorders has a less negative connotation in my view.

Kromonos
creator
link
fedilink
edit-2
3M

deleted by creator

serenity
link
fedilink
edit-2
3M

I never had the feeling, that I could publicly write about my major depressions, personality disorders and panic disorder on Mastodon/Pleroma as well. On the contrary. From various, even quite large, instances (not even Nazi instances) the information was even used against me. As if I was talking about it on Twitter.

I see. Yes, that is very bad and can contribute to feeling very unsafe. On Mastodon a few years ago, I have seen long conversations though were people found comfort with each other. I guess it depends on which instances that happened. Now with the new Twitter exodus (Mastodon became more popular after a previous Twitter exodus, in 2018 I believe ?) I can imagine that a lot of the rude comments from Twitter will be imported. Creating a Lemmy or Mastodon instance to give a safe place for people with mental disorders, if it does not already exist, is a good idea.

serenity
link
fedilink
33M

Just do it, and see how it works out. Even if you get just very few others on board of your instance, you will have a safe space to talk. Looking at the climate crisis, the recent Twitter chaos, and the possibly delayed mental side effects of the Covid-19 pandemic I can imagine that more and more people will want to talk about their depressions and panics and so on.

Makary
link
fedilink
edit-2
3M

deleted by creator

Kromonos
creator
link
fedilink
edit-2
3M

Why not? I could ask the other way. Why creating new Mastodon/Pleroma/Friendica/… instances, when already many exists? A lot of them even without a clear topic and a lot of spam.
And why shouldn’t I use the Lemmy software? Should I prefer an old BBS, which have no apps? Or should I use a static homepage with a disqus like comment option?
The Lemmy software offers a private option and a clear, topic based structure. And federation is optional. Or do you use all functions of the Friendica instance you are? Do you use any option in your phone? If not, why have you bought it? Reinventing the wheel?

Kromonos
creator
link
fedilink
edit-2
3M

As I see the downvotes on this, but not on the real stupid ones, I’ll don’t open such a safe space. I think, that many still will not understand, until they suffer by themselves. I hope, the down voters will never need to find a safe space. Good luck!

EDIT: I see, that all of a sudden the traces are quickly erased. This shows how much a safe space would be needed. However, I will discard my idea!

Makary
link
fedilink
edit-2
3M

deleted by creator

Kromonos
creator
link
fedilink
edit-2
3M

deleted by creator

A loosely moderated place to ask open ended questions

If your post is

1. Open ended
  2. Not offensive
  3. Not regarding lemmy support (c/lemmy_support)
  4. not ad nauseam inducing (please make sure its a question that would be new to most members)

it’s welcome here!

• 0 users online
  • 5 users / day
  • 54 users / week
  • 141 users / month
  • 484 users / 6 months
  • 19 subscribers
  • 530 Posts
  • 4.38K Comments
  • Modlog