## What is Matrix?
Preemptive TL;DR: `Matrix ≈ Discord - tracking + end-to-end encryption by default`
Matrix is a protocol for real-time communication (text, audio, and video) followed by various applications ("clients") -- the official one is [Element](https://element.io/download) for Linux, macOS, Windows, Android, and iOS), but there are many others (e.g. those listed [here](https://matrix.org/clients)). It's also federated, like Lemmy. To use a Matrix client, you need to make a Matrix account at one of the Matrix *homeservers* (similar to how you can make an account on lemmygrad.ml or lemmy.ml but still access both of them). We have our own Matrix homeserver at https://genzedong.org, and you don't need an email address to register an account there.
## How do I use it?
1. Download a Matrix client (e.g. [Element](https://element.io/download)) on whatever device you prefer.
2. Create an account in the client. You can select `genzedong.org` as your homeserver here; if you choose the default `matrix.org`, you'll need to enter an email address.
3. Log in. Search for the room `#welcome:genzedong.org`.
4. If you already have a Lemmygrad account with a posting history, just mention it in the "Welcome" room and you'll be invited to the GenZedong *space* (basically just a collection of rooms -- the main one is `#general:genzedong.org`). Otherwise, you'll have to answer some vetting questions similar to the ones needed to register on Lemmygrad.
## How active is it?
Not very active at the moment, but you -- yes, *you* (!!!) -- can help change this! Wow! Amazing!
## Important info
- Encryption is currently disabled in the GenZedong Matrix rooms.